Apples and custard: simple ingredients to rediscover flavours of our past.
Preparing this delicious and fragrant sweet pastry shell is very easy. Filled with custard, instead of classic jam, and diced apples is perfect with a steaming cup of lemon flavoured tea.
For an original shape and exceptional baking results, use our fluted rectangular baking pan with removable bottom.
Below you can find the recipe of Graficare in cucina
Ingredients (for a 35 x 11cm pan):
For the sweet shortcrust pastry
- 285g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 125g cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 8g baking powder
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- grated zest of an untreated lemon to taste
For the custard
- 2 yolks
- 30g plain flour
- 65g sugar
- 250ml milk
- 2-3 pieces of untreated lemon zest
- 2 apples
- powdered sugar to taste
- On your work surface, sift the flour and form a fountain. Add the diced butter, the eggs, the sugar, the grated lemon zest, the baking powder and the vanilla sugar inside the gap.
- Using your fingertips, blend the ingredients until you form a smooth and compact ball. Work quickly and gently, being careful not to over-knead your dough!
- Wrap the ball in some cling film and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the custard. Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the lemon zest and bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk the yolks, the sugar and the flour. Gradually pour the hot milk in the bowl, stirring constantly so that no lumps form.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, whisking steadily, until the custard is thickened. Remove it from the stove and leave to cool.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough into an even shape about 5 mm thick. Line the greased and floured baking pan with the dough, trimming the excess with a knife.
- Pour the custard on top, levelling it with the back of a spoon.
- Cover with the peeled and diced apples, slightly pushing them into the custard.
- Use the remaining sweet shortcrust pastry to form some thin stripes about 1 cm wide and place them over the custard in the classic grill pattern.
- Bake in a preheated ventilated oven at 175°C for 20-25 minutes. Once ready, sprinkle with powdered sugar.